Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Shrine Days Coming to an End

I rented an apartment today. I move in April 7th.

I wasn't going to rent an apartment today. I was just going to look. But this place has wicked potential, though I haven't actually seen it... just the floor plan and the outside of the building. Feels kinda wierd dropping 2000 bones for a place I haven't seen, but I gotta good sense about it, and I knew it wouldn't be on the market long.

There's a huge open space that is kitchen and living room in one, and I do mean huge (12 jyo, for those who know Japanese room sizing) a smaller room that will be where I lay me head to sleep(4.5 jyo), and a small "storage room" (3 jyo), that since it has a window, I think will be my office if all goes according to plan. All for the rediculously low price of 32 000 yen per month, located a 2 minute walk from the monorail, a 15 minute walk to Karin's house, and a 10 bike ride to work. It has to be the scene of some gangland shooting or something, but I ask no questions.

I said I dropped 2000 bones on it, and I was going to merely state that it is expensive to rent an apartment in Japan in brackets, but I decided to elabourate a bit. There's a foolish practice in Japan dating back to the war called key money. It's a monotary gift to the owner as well as a non-returnable deposit as a way to say thanks for letting me live there.

At one point this practice was a simple supply and demand issue. Places like Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed during the war, and as a result, there was a lack of housing. People had to move out of their bombed buildings or houses and find new places, but there's was a lack. So, if you could get an apartment, you would say thanks in cash. I suspect there was something also dealing with the highest bidder gets the place. But this is outdated and rediculous now. There is no lack of housing, in fact due to the declining birth rate and the fact that more and more people are living with their parents til they are 30 or so, there is an abundance of housing, and it should mean that rent prices should drop, and key money should be done with. But not so in this society.

But I digress. The point being that my days of living with the gods of Shinto are coming to an end, and I am a little sad about that. But I am excited to have a new living space. Drop by if you have the time. And bring me a nice lamp or something^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home