Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's nice to feel wanted

I've turned down two job offers in the past week, and both times I felt like I was the person hiring them. In a way this is true. I've always felt that the interview process is not one way. The job hunter (and it's interesting we use that choice of words) must feel out what company is best for him/herself as well as a company deciding what person is best for the job.

I like that people want to work with me; feel that I would be an "asset" to the company; make concessions to try and land me. The job I turned down today, when I said last week that I would think about it and weigh my options, added $500 per month to the salary to try and get me to go with them, and if they were in my city, I probably would have accepted their offer. But it would require me to move, and after just spending 5 months in a long distance relationship while I went back to school, I'd really like to be closer than an hour train ride from my lover.

There is more to life than money. There are the times when she sneaks into my apartment at 2 in the morning to crawl into bed with me because she has the spare key and lives close by; there are the times when we can just meet for lunch, there are the times when we can go for a walk in the park or on the beach. That's worth way more than $500 a month.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there czikk
pedros here, writing from st. kitties to say that i miss you .. edwin just showed me his "blog", then jack's "blog" and then - hey surprise - your "blog"
hope you are well .. this whole "blog" thing is a bit much for me but perhaps one bloggy day .. one day i'll jump on the blog board. hope you are well my friend .. guess i'm not really commenting on your - ummm - "blog entry"?? i am not very well versed in the language nor the etiquette of blogging yet. maybe one day ...
you can reach me - if you like at the same ole hotmail address ...

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Myke,
Glad to see you back on board. Can understand that there are better things than sitting in front of a screen, but I for one am a complete addict. I have done at least one entry EVERY DAY on mixi for the past two months (well, missed on day in Feb., to be honest), and have pasted most of those into my Japanese blog on my site.

Anyway, what were the offers you turned down? GOod that you know your priorities, however tempting the job might be. Man... I envy you your relationship. I am now running on 3 years long distance... and by that I mean most certainly more than an hour by train; it's 4 hours by plane and in Hong Kong. I'm lucky if I can get her to sneak into my bed more than a few times a year, let alone just wiggle in late one night of her own volition. Sigh. But I have only myself to blame. Will only say I AM getting tired of it. Hope to be closer soon.

6:26 PM  
Blogger jack said...

i can dig it.
nice.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home