Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dynomi~te!!!

After almost a year of hearing how good of a film it is, I finally got around to seeing Napoleon Dynamite this week. Fekkin brilliant. Part of the problem was that I knew absolutely nothing about the film, so if I did think about looking for it at the video store, I had no mental image to go on. Combined with the fact that the Japanese title is "Bus Boy" or "Bus Man", I walked past the box many many times. The other night the box caught me again, and I read the back to see that perfect name, Napoleon Dynamite, written in Japanese, and thought "No shit. This is it?"

Doesn't Napoleon bring back memories of all those people we kinda forgot about in high school? Hell, Napoloen may be anyone of us, really. But those kids existed, drawing Ligers in class with awkward dexterity.

This one dude I went to high school with named Lee was kinda Napoleonesque. My buddy Zark bumped into him a few years ago. He designes chain-link bras and other medieval S&M outfits last we heard. I guess chicks do want a guy with skills.

Vote for Pedro!!


This post is dedicated to all the people I went to high school with, all the strange kids, the cool kids, the jocks, and the nerds.

4 Comments:

Blogger jack said...

here here!!!! well said.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't in highschool with you directly, Mykie, but you can bet it wasn't much different in Huron County than Simcoe!

Glad you liked the movie. I got it for Christmas the year before last when I went home, thoughtfully, from a step-sister who thought I might be homesick... and man... did it hit home. Brilliant indeed.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Akira Sundance said...

yes. and a week later my girlfriend and i are still squinting our eyes to say a Napoleonesque "What!?" whatever chance we get.

"Wanna get something to eat?"
"What!?... Nitteru, desho? Sugoi, atashi."
"Un. Sugoi ne, kimi."
Then we break into histerics.

Ok, Jack, Richard... one person from high school that you thought of after watching N.D. or this post. Game on.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My step-brother, when he became such, had glasses the same as and spoke almost exactly like Napoleon Dynamite. The funniest part was that he did the scoff and said, "Geez!" exactly the same way. Even his grandmother would yell, "Scott (his name), go make ya-self some damn Quesidillas!" if she liked Quesidillas, that is.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home