Thursday, March 23, 2006

10 Years

I just came to the realization that I've known you for a decade, and through it all, we seem to always weave in and out of each other's lives. Ten years and a few months ago, we sat in that black room and listened to them tell us about what we would do for the next year: stitching, banging, cutting, Stanislavky-ing (Do you know that for about a month I thought the dude's name was Stan Islavsky?) I think you told me after that you thought I was either scarry, or a dandy. I thought you were straight edge. Regardless, we were both skeptics of "the programme" and left after a year.

I thought you were gone, but you came back. Then I faded out but eventually fell back into the circle with a new generation. And for the next couple years all we could do was reminisce about the past. That kinda made me sad, but I had no idea about what to do about it. Then we went out west and had three wicked weeks and I think that's where I really got to know you. Right after that I left to find where the sun rises.

Four years later we have come in contact again, and it is extremely interesting for me. You are an inspiration for me, partly because we are doing the same things, but more because I see that your drive hasn't faded. With me, learning such a foreign language as this has weakened my creative brain. I think in a grammar that isn't my native one. I think in idioms that don't translate, like "eye drops from the second floor" and "three years on on a motionless rock."

Chances are we'll once again fall out of contact at some point, but I guess if you know someone a third of your life, you can never really be too far away.

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you.

Keep writing. I'll be reading.

3 Comments:

Blogger jack said...

aw shit - it's funny what time does... but i'll not forget that first year at brock for the rest of my life - correction - i've forgotten so much of that first year at brock - but i'll not forget having met you that first year at brock - i felt a tad guilty for being a cynic but you assured me that i was well within my rights to question the focus of that programme in the first year... and of course nostalgia lives at the doorsteps of those who weave in and out... and we are no exception to that rule... i watched your OYR piece the other day and had fond memories of calgary so it's cool that you brought that up... we'll cross paths again and talk about the green room and mr islvsky and we'll talk about all we've done all we're doing etc... but i'll always remember you as the chosen one - born with the power to see the green room for what it was - a regular room that wasn't green.
ciao bro

9:16 PM  
Blogger jack said...

and i won't forger loewen's silver pants either. those are burned on my psyche forever.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Akira Sundance said...

well this is a beautiful colour day. i had forgotten about the green room and the silver pants. god, the green room pissed me off. i think i was in there a combined total of 10 minutes all first year.

and interesting synchronicity: i wrote and posted this letter the same time you posted a letter to a friend of yours.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home