Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I smell burnt toast.

Recently I've been smelling hockey rinks. I have no idea how to describe the smell of an ice rink (not the dressing room, I mean the ice itself) so I'm hoping you've been in one.

I think there is something about the crispness of the air lately. The morning chill that enters your nose at a seemingly quicker pace that warmer air; the way it fills the sinus cavity in your forehead, right between your eyes; the way the air contracts that cavity, then swells as it warms.

There is a smell that ice has that maybe only people who have spent many hours in hockey rinks can appreciate. It is clean. It is pure. It is glorious.

And I've been smelling it when I least expect it, bringing memories flooding back.

Perhaps I'm not smelling it at all, but rather remembering the smell and thinking I smell it. My trip back to Canada is approaching, and becoming more more real each day. Yesterday I paid for our tickets, and got my re-entry permit to Japan. Now the concept of being in Canada for winter is more a reality. And I've been thinking of how much I want to hit the rink when I get back.

I want to teach her how to skate, and yet, since it's been 5 years since I've strapped them on myself, who's gonna re-teach me?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean by that smell... there is virtually no duplicating it. I love the smell of things in winter... be it the cold itself, the damp or frozen ground, and of course the smells of things cooking in winter (especially sweet potatoes and chestnuts at festivals etc.).

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home